5 WAYS TO GET THE MOST FROM YOUR KIEF COLLECTION
By: Gazette Staff
a little brief about kief
One such concentrated form of cannabis is known as kief, which is essentially trichome dust. Trichomes are the tiny glands that occupy the flowers and leaves of cannabis plants, excreting a thick and sticky resin that houses molecules we know and love, such as THC, CBD, and many other cannabinoids and terpenes.
Creating kief involves detaching these small chemical factories from cannabis flowers and saving them up until a large quantity has been collected. This pile of trichomes can then be used in a multitude of ways to provide a potent high. Because the trichomes contain cannabinoids, kief offers a much more intense high than smoking cannabis flowers, where the smoke would normally contain combusted plant material and other less desirable molecules.
1. Load it on top of a bowl. The classic repurposing of kief is to collect a bit of it and add it on top of your bowl. This will take an average bowl to the lext level. Kief stays cherried so you’ll have to continuously keep smoking or use your lighter to put it out.
2. Load it into a joint. If you and your smoking buddies really feel like it’s time to blast off, then reach for the kief jar and sprinkle a few pinches inside the joint before rolling. This will add some serious kick, and will be of particular assistance when the flower you’re smoking isn’t as potent as you’d hoped.
3. Get creative in the kitchen. Kief can be infused into cannabutter, which can then be used in practically any recipe to provide a potent edible high. Kief cannabutter can be added to cakes, brownies, sauces, dressings, and a whole host of other options.
4. Turn it into e-liquid. Kief can be used with vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol to create some homemade e-liquid that can be loaded into a vape pen and used at home or discreetly whilst on-the-go.
5. Press it into rosin. Kief can be used to make your own supply of hash, considering you have saved up a good quantity of trichomes. To make this, you’ll need some parchment paper and an iron. Place your kief within the parchment paper and fold it over. Press the paper with the iron for a short period of time under heavy pressure. This resinous substance is ideal for firing up on the dab rig.
The typical way to collect kief is with a grinder. The ground up particles fall through small holes into the second layer where they are collected on top of a metal mesh. This ground plant matter is too big to pass through the mesh, however, the miniscule trichomes easily fall through to a kief chamber that resides below. Before long, you’ll have a mountain of trichomes ready to be used in whatever ways you wish.